It’s hard to express the depths of outrage many are feeling over the continued Planned Parenthood scandal. In the latest video release we see a discussion with a senior director from Planned Parenthood in Texas over how to set up and then invoice for the sale of baby parts from abortions.
Here are the basic facts that are clear from the video.
- According to the Texas Penal Code (48.02(b)) any such transaction is illegal.
(b) A person commits an offense if he or she knowingly or intentionally offers to buy, offers to sell, acquires, receives, sells, or otherwise transfers any human organ for valuable consideration.
- What you see in the video is a clear breach of this code; a “Class A misdemeanour” (3.12.A). Each instance is a breach of the code.
Sec. 12.21. CLASS A MISDEMEANOR. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class A misdemeanor shall be punished by:
(1) a fine not to exceed $4,000;
(2) confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year; or
(3) both such fine and confinement.
- Procedures are changed in order to safely procure intact baby parts.
- Different amounts are discussed for different parts, depending upon demand – i.e. this is a market transaction. It is the demand for the baby part that drives the price, not the work required to obtain the part.
- There is clearly a deliberate decision being made to report the transaction in as opaque a way as possible (referring on invoices to “consents” rather than the specific parts) in order to hide the true nature of the transaction.
Those are the obvious facts. What will be done?
While one investigation in Texas has led to the extraordinary decision to charge the makers of these videos, rather than the Planned Parenthood employees there is another separate investigation by the Texas Health and Human Services and the Texas attorney general.