Dear friends and readers,
I need some help. My hosting company, GoDaddy, seem to be unwilling to take my word that the persistent problems many of you are getting with the site being sporadically down are not just mine (and because of my computer or my network) but actually their problem.
So I’d like to supply them with a plethora of people who can demonstrate the same problem.
If you are willing would you do couple of things for me?
- Find out your public IP address by going to this website.
- Run a traceroute by one of two means:
[tabs style=”framed” nav=”tabs” tab_1=”on a PC using Windows” tab_2=”on a Mac or Linux machine”]
- get a command prompt by pressing the Windows button + R then typing “cmd” in the text box and then return
- in the black DOS box that pops up type “tracert davidould.net”. Give the traceroute a while to run, it will more than likely fail at a particular server and then keep trying. Eventually it will stop.
There are detailed instructions here.
- Open up the terminal from spotlight search (if you’re on Linux then you’re a geek and you know how to get a terminal!)
- type “traceroute davidould.net” and press return. Give the traceroute a while to run, it will more than likely fail at a particular server and then keep trying. Eventually it will stop.
- do not use the traceroute facility in Network Utilities. It gives a false result.
The please enter your results here. Copy and paste the entire traceroute log please.
many thanks for your help!
Leave a Reply